Ajvain (Carum copticum), additionally known as bishops weed, is a herb that’s used as a spice and a significant ingredient in various kinds of medicines. Ajvain is assumed to have originated in Egypt and the japanese Mediterranean area. Ajvain is extensively cultivated in black soil, particularly alongside the riverbank in Egypt and a number of other different nations like Iran, Afghanistan, and India. The seeds of ajvain are small but have a scorching, penchant, and bitter style. Ajvain features as a stomachic (selling urge for food or aiding in digestion) and laxative and is used as an appetiser. It’s an efficient treatment for managing circumstances like piles, stomach tumours, stomach ache, vomiting, mouth illnesses, and many others.
Dietary Worth of Ajwain:
The main constituent of ajvain is a necessary oil known as thymol which constitutes about 35-60%. The seed additionally comprises compounds like p-cymene, limonene, α-pinene, and γ-terpinene. Ajvain seeds additionally comprise protein, fats, fibre, minerals, calcium, iron, phosphorous, carotene, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, and carbohydrates. In 100 grams of ajvain, the vitamins discovered are:1,
|Fatty acids (complete saturated)||0.62 g|
Desk 1: Dietary worth of ajwain2
Additionally Learn: Guggul: Makes use of, Advantages, Facet Results and Extra!
Potential Makes use of of Ajwain:
Ajvain is thought to have many medicinal properties like:
- Anthelminthic (acts towards parasitic worms)
- Analgesic (pain-relieving)
- Antibacterial (inhibiting micro organism or killing them)
- Antifungal (killing or stopping the expansion of fungal organisms)
- Antiviral exercise (acts towards viruses)
- Antitussive (cough suppressing)
- Antihyperlipidemic (cholesterol-lowering) exercise
- Diuretic (will increase the circulation of urine)
- Detoxificant (removing of poisonous substances from the physique)
- Hepatoprotective (liver-protecting)
- Digestive stimulant
- Antihypertensive (blood stress reducing)3
Additionally Learn: Methi (Fenugreek): Makes use of, Advantages, Facet Results, and Extra!
Advantages of Ajwain:
1. Advantages of ajwain for digestion:
Ajvain helps scale back irregular pains of the intestines and abdomen in each adults and kids. Taking ajvain with frequent salt and heat water can relieve any colicky (sharp ache within the intestines) ache as a consequence of gasoline accumulation, indigestion, and infections within the gut. Ajvain could be taken with buttermilk to alleviate digestion-related issues. Seek the advice of your physician earlier than taking it to handle any situation.1
2. Advantages of ajwain for respiratory issues:
A combination of ajwain and ginger could be taken in circumstances of power bronchitis and bronchial asthma. This combination helps expel mucous and improves the signs of power bronchitis and bronchial asthma. Additionally it is efficient in managing power colds. Ajvain can be useful in managing cough. Consuming heat water after chewing ajvain reduces cough. Chewing betel leaf with ajvain helps management and handle the dry cough. It’s, nevertheless important to seek the advice of your physician earlier than taking it to handle these circumstances.1
3. Advantages of ajwain for diabetes:
Ajvain seeds are helpful in managing diabetes. Powdered neem leaves could be taken with heat milk together with powdered ajvain and cumin seeds. This mix could be consumed for lowering blood sugar ranges. Nevertheless, it’s important to seek the advice of your doctor earlier than taking this mix.
4. Advantages of ajwain for migraine:
Smelling ajvain seeds wrapped in a tissue might help in coping with migraines. Ajvain seeds will also be burnt and inhaled to cope with different issues associated to the pinnacle.4
5. Advantages of ajwain for arthritis:
Ajvain seed oil could be very useful in managing ache associated to arthritis. This oil could be massaged within the affected joints often to alleviate ache in rheumatic arthritis.4
6. Advantages of ajwain for diarrhoea:
Consuming ajvain seeds are a pure strategy to handle diarrhoea or dysentery. A handful of ajvain seeds could be boiled and brought in a glass of water. This combination could be cooled and consumed for managing diarrhoea.4
7. Advantages of ajwain for menstrual issues:
Ladies having issues like irregular menses and extreme bleeding can devour ajvain water. Grind a handful of ajvain seeds in water and drink this combination to cope with this drawback.4
8. Different advantages of ajwain:
Ajvain seeds are additionally used as an insecticide. Furthermore, they’re additionally used to handle toxic insect bites.4
Additionally Learn: Cardamom: Makes use of, Advantages, Facet Results and Extra!
Facet Results of Ajwain:
When consumed carefully, ajvain seeds don’t produce any dangerous negative effects. Nevertheless, in individuals affected by circumstances like diverticulitis (ache and irritation in small, bulging pouches that may kind within the lining of the digestive tract), ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel illness), and liver illnesses, extra consumption of ajvain can result in some negative effects.
- Ajvain seeds stimulate gastric secretions, which may worsen any present peptic ulcers. It’s important to seek the advice of a health care provider if this impact is noticed.
- Overconsumption of ajvain may result in nausea, pores and skin irritation, vomiting, allergy, and headache in some individuals.4
Precautions to Take With Ajwain:
It is very important maintain these factors in thoughts when utilizing ajvain seeds:
- Individuals having peptic ulcers and liver illness should keep away from consuming ajvain.
- Ajvain seeds can’t be saved for a protracted interval.
- It’s important to retailer ajvain seeds in an air-tight bottle in a cool and dry surroundings.
- They have to be refrained from moisture and direct daylight.4
Incessantly Requested Questions:
Ajvain (Trachyspermum Ammi L.) seeds are obtained from a natural plant belonging to the household Apiaceae. It’s known as by completely different names like bishops weed, carom, or ajowan caraway. It has a number of medicinal properties.
What are the opposite names of ajvain?
The frequent names of ajvain embrace ajwain, jevain, oma, omam, yom, omu, vamu, yamini, oman, jain, yaminiki, yavan, and extra.
The place is ajwain present in India?
In India, ajvain is usually present in Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu.6
Can ajwain be used for dental issues?
Sure, ajvain seeds can be utilized to handle tooth ache. Utilizing clove oil, ajvain oil, and water might help to cope with toothache, tooth decay, and unhealthy mouth odour. It’s an environment friendly strategy to keep oral hygiene.4
Can ajwain be used for skin-related issues?
Sure, a paste could be ready from ajvain seeds and utilized on any affected a part of the face or physique to handle the itching, boils, and eczema (a situation through which patches of pores and skin develop into infected, itchy, cracked, and tough). In case of zits, powdered ajvain seeds could be taken with yoghurt and utilized to the face. This treatment might help handle zits scars.4
Can ajwain be used to deal with piles?
Sure, consuming buttermilk with ajvain seeds and rock salt helps scale back the bleeding in piles.4
- Rashmi Yadav, Chandan Kumar Pradhan, Deepika Gupta, Rahul Kaoshik; Well being advantages of Indian fragrant plant ajwain (Tachychpermum Ammi). Worldwide Jounral of pharmacy and know-how. 2011 3(3): 1356-1366. Out there from: https://www.researchgate.web/publication/317041607_Health_benefits_of_Indian_aromatic_plant_Ajwain_Trachycpermum_ammi/hyperlink/592d01d50f7e9b9979b38e9c/obtain
- U.S Division of agriculture. Ajwain seed entire natural spices. [Internet] Out there from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/806341/vitamins
- Mohammad M. Zarshenas, Mahmoodreza Moein, Soliman Mohammadi Samani, Peyman Petramfar; An outline on ajwain (trachyspermum ammi) pharmacologica; results; Fashionable and conventional. 2014 Jan 14(1). Out there from: https://www.researchgate.web/publication/262001210_An_Overview_on_Ajwain_Trachyspermum_ammi_Pharmacological_Effects_Modern_and_Traditional/hyperlink/0a85e5363504f3bc28000000/obtain
- Pooja Dhiman, Kanika Soni, Sandeep singh; Medicinal worth of carom seeds- An outline. Pharmatutor journal. 2014, 2(3): 119-123. Out there from: https://www.pharmatutor.org/pdf_download/pdf/Vol.%202,%20Issuepercent203,%20Marchpercent202014,%20PharmaTutor,%20Paper-14.pdf
- Mohamad Hesam Shahrajabian, Wenli Solar, Qi Cheng; Pharmaceutical advantages and multidimensional makes use of of ajwain (trachyspermum ammi L.) 11(2): 138-141. Out there from: https://phcogcommn.org/content material/310
- Monawara Begum, B.P Sharma and S.M Barbhuiya Aziz; Ethnobotanical, phytochemical and pharmacological science of trachyspermum ammi (ajwain): A scientific evaluation. 2021 12(11): 5690-5697. Out there from: https://ijpsr.com/bft-article/ethnobotanical-phytochemical-and-pharmacological-science-of-trachyspermum-ammi-ajwain-a-systematic-review/
Disclaimer: The data included at this website is for academic functions solely and isn’t meant to be an alternative to medical remedy by a healthcare skilled. Due to distinctive particular person wants, the reader ought to seek the advice of their doctor to find out the appropriateness of the data for the reader’s state of affairs.