Banana and walnut cake makes an incredible improve to a basic banana bread. Topped with a beautiful buttercream frosting, it is the final word afternoon slice.
Identical to banana bread, this cake is a good way to make use of up your bananas that are on the flip. The riper, the higher. We have baked this cake in a loaf tin format, which makes it actually helpful to have if visitors flip up unexpectedly. It is really easy to simply lower off a slice and it is unbeatable with afternoon cuppa. We predict it’s best to get 10 slices from this cake, however clearly that relies upon how beneficiant you’re along with your slicing (and to be trustworthy, we expect there’s nothing fallacious with being beneficiant). In the event you do not fancy the sweetness of a frosting excessive you’ll be able to depart it plain, or serve with a skinny spreading of butter or a dollop of thick cream.
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp floor blended spice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 massive eggs
- 50g (2oz) walnuts, chopped
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed with 10ml (2tsp) lemon juice
For the frosting:
- 175g (6oz) reduced-fat delicate cheese e.g. Philadelphia
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- Chopped walnuts and blended spice, to brighten
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/fuel mark 3. Grease and line the bottom and up two sides of a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with parchment.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, spice, baking powder and eggs in a big bowl and beat with an electrical whisk till totally mixed. Fold within the walnuts and mashed bananas.
- Spoon the combination into the tin and degree the floor. Bake for 1 hr-1 hr 10 minutes till risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clear. Go away to chill within the tin for 10 minutes, then prove on to a rack to chill utterly.
- Beat collectively the delicate cheese and icing sugar and unfold over the chilly loaf. Beautify with the walnuts and blended spice.
Suggestions for making banana and walnut cake
Don’t be afraid to experiment with the combination, including in any leftover dates or chocolate chips for an additional punch of flavour.
You may additionally like…