This chilli cottage pie combines two traditional dinner dishes in a single: conventional cottage pie and chilli con carne.
The result’s all of the consolation meals issue of a potato-topped pie, plus the spicy hit of chilli con carne. It is an excellent twist on an everyday cottage pie, and nice for those who’re batch cooking chilli con carne as you may make the 2 meals on the identical time and freeze on of them. Serve with some bitter cream for anybody who’s daunted by the spiciness, in any other case just a few darkish inexperienced veggies like kale or broccoli are all you want.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 700g lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml sizzling beef inventory
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 400g can kidney beans
For the topping:
- 900g potatoes, peeled and minimize into small items
- 25g butter
- 125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Warmth the oil in a big saucepan or deep sauté pan. Add the onion and fry till frivolously browned.
- Add the meat and fry till browned. Cut back the warmth and add the tomato purée or ketchup and stir properly.
- Sprinkle on the flour and stir properly, then pour on the inventory and add the tomatoes and chilli powder.
- Carry to the boil, then cut back the warmth to simmer, cowl and prepare dinner for 40 – 45 minutes till thickened.
- In the meantime prepare dinner the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes till tender, then drain and add the butter and just a little milk. Mash till clean and lump free.
- Preheat the oven to 190⁰C/376⁰F/Fan 170⁰C/Fuel Mark 5.
- Add the kidney beans to the meat combination and stir collectively properly. Spoon the meat combination into an ovenproof dish and clean it over evenly. Spoon the mashed potato on high of the meat and clean it over.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the potato topping and bake within the oven for 20 – 25 minutes till the pie is golden and crisp.
Prime tip for making chilli cottage pie
Simple swaps: use baked beans as a substitute of kidney beans for those who choose. Any sort of mince can be utilized, together with Quorn for vegetarians. If you haven’t any tomato purée, use a squidge of tomato ketchup.
You may additionally like…