Restoration from a gentle to average hyperextended knee can take 2 to 4 weeks to heal, whereas extra extreme circumstances could require 6 months or longer after surgical procedure.
Hyperextension of the knee is a situation that happens when the knee extends too far backward past the traditional vary of movement. It causes extra stress to the knee constructions and again of the knee joint, typically resulting in ache, swelling, and tissue harm.
In extraordinarily extreme circumstances, a hyperextended knee can harm the ligaments, cartilage, blood vessels, nerves, and different stabilizing constructions within the knee.
Though hyperextension of the knee can happen in anybody, it’s a frequent sports activities damage amongst athletes. Due to weaker joint stability, feminine athletes have a better threat of a hyperextended knee damage than male athletes.
Restoration time for a hyperextended knee damage varies relying on the severity. In delicate to average circumstances, an individual could take two to 4 weeks to get better. In extreme circumstances that require surgical procedure, it could take six months or extra to get better fully from surgical restore.
What causes a hyperextended knee?
Hyperextension of the knee often happens resulting from a direct blow to the knee or by something that forces the knee joint to bend too far backward. Widespread causes of a hyperextended knee embody
- Automotive accident: Throughout a automotive accident when the knee could also be forcefully impacted.
- Falling: Falling when the foot is caught.
- Touchdown exhausting: Touchdown incorrectly after a soar or unbalanced touchdown.
- Leaping on the again: When somebody jumps on an individual’s again abruptly with out warning, it will possibly trigger the individual to be off-balance, leading to a hyperextended knee.
- Snowboarding: If a skier crashes on a snowbank, their physique will proceed to maneuver ahead whereas the ft are mounted, resulting in a hyperextended knee.
- Sports activities: A hyperextended knee could also be brought on throughout sports activities that contain
- Excessive contact at excessive speeds corresponding to soccer, soccer, snowboarding, or lacrosse.
- Flexibility and touchdown corresponding to gymnastics.
- Fast adjustments in path and leaping corresponding to basketball.
- Sudden deceleration: Stopping abruptly when operating retains the momentum of the physique shifting ahead whereas the ft are mounted, inflicting the knee to bend backward.
- Deal with: Leg sort out or tackling the entrance of the knee that pushes the knee backward.
What are the signs of knee hyperextension?
Signs of a hyperextended knee could differ from delicate to extreme relying on how far backward the knee was pushed and the severity of harm to the ligaments and surrounding tissues.
Widespread signs of a hyperextended knee embody:
- Feeling of weak point: Feeling a sensation of giving out or buckling of the knee.
- Instability of the knee: The affected knee is much less steady or sturdy than the wholesome one.
- Knee ache: Reasonable to extreme localized knee ache, delicate to sharp ache at the back of the knee, or pinching ache in entrance of the knee joint.
- Restricted mobility: Issue bending or straightening the injured knee resulting from broken ligaments, swelling of the knee, and weak point within the joint and ache.
- Popping sound: A hyperextended knee that’s accompanied by a popping sound or sensation signifies that one of many knee ligaments is torn.
- Swelling: Fluid accumulates throughout the knee joint referred to as “water on the knee,” inflicting swelling that reduces knee mobility.
- Seen bruising: Gentle or extreme bruising could seem on the pores and skin in response to the injured delicate tissues, ligaments, and/or cartilage.
What’s the therapy of a hyperextended knee?
Typical therapy of a hyperextended knee is predicated on the RICE precept, which incorporates:
- Relaxation: The exercise that brought on the hyperextended knee have to be instantly stopped, and the knee ought to be rested. It’s obligatory to hunt medical help. Excessive-intensity actions and make contact with sports activities have to be fully prevented throughout relaxation. The physician could give anti-inflammatory drugs and ache drugs to assist cut back swelling and ache.
- Ice: A bit of ice positioned inside a small towel or piece of fabric ought to be utilized to the affected knee for as much as quarter-hour a number of instances a day to scale back swelling and get some reduction from ache.
- Compression: Wrapping the knee with a compression wrap or elastic assist bandage reduces swelling and ache.
- Elevation: Elevate the injured knee above the center at any time when doable. This may be finished by mendacity down on a mattress with the leg resting on a pillow or snug assist.
Remedy of extreme circumstances of a hyperextended knee
- Surgical procedure: Though surgical procedure is much less frequent, in extreme circumstances, a hyperextended knee may end up in tendon tear, tissue harm, or misalignment of the knee that requires surgical restore. Widespread surgical procedures embody:
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopic surgical procedure includes inserting a small endoscopic digicam by way of a small incision to get a transparent view of the affected space and restore knee damages.
- Reconstruction: Reconstructive surgical procedure could also be carried out to restore tissue harm attributable to a hyperextended knee.
Bodily remedy could be important for an individual present process surgical procedure to regain muscle energy and restore their vary of movement.
Prevention of a hyperextended knee
Carrying knee braces throughout sports activities or high-intensity exercise could assist stop a hyperextended knee. Supporting the hyperextended knee after damage and resting for the primary 48 hours after damage is crucial for therapeutic, stability, and stopping additional hyperextension.
Medically Reviewed on 10/11/2021