These moist crimson velvet cupcakes are filled with a wealthy chocolate flavour and colored with a vibrant crimson meals colouring paste.
The Hummingbird Bakery’s crimson velvet cupcakes would possibly simply be among the greatest within the nation. However now it is easy to recreate them residence because of this easy seven-step recipe. Making cupcakes is at all times fairly a simple baking prospect, and there may be nothing too complicated on this recipe, thought you do should be fairly exact. The recipe makes a dozen fairly mini desserts, every serving one particular person. Each is topped with a do-it-yourself cream cheese frosting made merely with icing sugar, butter, and cream cheese. You possibly can both mud them with tremendous cocoa powder earlier than serving, or, when you have any cupcakes which have over-risen, neaten out the tops and use the offcuts to make crimson velvet crumbs to sprinkle on high.
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g cocoa powder
- 20ml crimson meals colouring (we advocate Dr. Oetker’s or a paste colouring as crimson meals colourings range in energy)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g cream cheese, chilly
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gasoline mark 3 and line a 12-hole cupcake tray with massive cupcake circumstances. Put aside.
- Put the butter and the sugar in a freestanding electrical mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electrical whisk) and beat on medium velocity till gentle and fluffy and nicely blended. Flip the mixer as much as excessive velocity, slowly add the egg and beat till every little thing is nicely included.
- In a separate bowl, combine collectively the cocoa powder, crimson meals colouring and vanilla extract to make a thick, darkish paste. Add to the butter combination and blend completely till evenly mixed and colored (scrape any unmixed substances from the facet of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Flip the mixer all the way down to gradual velocity and slowly pour in half the buttermilk. Beat till nicely blended, then add half the flour, and beat till every little thing is nicely included.
- Repeat this course of till all of the buttermilk and flour have been added. Scrape down the facet of the bowl once more. Flip the mixer as much as excessive velocity and beat till you have got a clean, even combination. Flip the mixer all the way down to low velocity and add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. Beat till nicely blended, then flip up the velocity once more and beat for a pair extra minutes.
- Spoon the combination into the paper circumstances till two-thirds full and bake within the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or till the sponge bounces again when touched. A skewer inserted within the centre ought to come out clear. Go away the cupcakes to chill barely within the tray earlier than turning out onto a wire cooling rack to chill fully.
- In the meantime for the cream cheese frosting: Beat the icing sugar and butter collectively in a freestanding electrical mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electrical whisk) on medium-slow velocity till the combination comes collectively and is nicely blended. Add the cream cheese in a single go and beat till it’s fully included. Flip the mixer as much as medium-high velocity. Proceed beating till the frosting is gentle and fluffy, a minimum of 5 minutes. Don’t overbeat, as it could rapidly turn into runny.
- When the cupcakes are chilly, spoon over the cream cheese frosting on high.
Watch the right way to make crimson velvet cupcakes
High suggestions for making crimson velvet cupcakes
Make certain the crimson velvet cupcakes have fully cooled earlier than including the icing in any other case the cream cheese frosting (opens in new tab) will soften, separate, and finally fall off the cupcakes.
What makes crimson velvet cupcakes crimson?
Historically crimson velvet cake was made with a specific sort of cocoa powder which reacted with acid within the cake to trigger the deep, brownish crimson color. In the course of the Second World Warfare, when many meals had been within the ration, beetroot was added to desserts so as to add sweetness, moistness and crimson color. Fashionable crimson velvet desserts are inclined to easy use crimson meals colouring, although they typically nonetheless comprise a small quantity of cocoa for flavour.
You may additionally like…