This hearty sausage and hen casserole is ideal for a household dinner.
It is a bit like a French cassoulet – a sluggish cooked stew from the south of France which normally accommodates a wide range of meats, baked in beans. It makes a very conventional autumn or winter hotter. This model is far faster and simpler. If you haven’t any cooked hen breasts, you may simply pop a pair within the oven whereas the sausages are cooking. Alternatively, it is a good way of utilizing up leftovers from a roast hen – use the thighs and drumsticks as a substitute of breast meat.
- 6 chunky pork sausages
- 50g diced smoked bacon items
- 1 tbsp oil, for cooking
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sticks of thyme, a number of leaves reserved for garnish
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g tinned butter or cannellini beans
- 2 cooked hen breasts (or 4 cooked hen joints)
- Grill the sausages till they’re colored on one facet. You may set them to grill when you are finishing up steps 2-4, however do not forget to take away and put aside when they’re cooked on one facet.
- In a big, heavy saucepan, gently fry the bacon items in a bit oil till colored on all sides.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic and herbs. Cook dinner for one more 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and lift the warmth a bit to deliver to the boil. Drain the beans and add to the stew. Season properly.
- Place the combo in an ovenproof pot. Prepare the sausages on high, colored facet downwards. Reduce hen breasts into half and place into the bean combine as properly.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes. Take away the thyme sticks and bay go away earlier than serving, and garnish with the reserved thyme leaves.
High Tip for making sausage and hen casserole
For an additional crunchy topping: simply earlier than serving, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs and return to the oven for five minutes.
You may additionally like…