Discover ways to make a basic Victoria sponge with our easy five-step recipe. It is the proper cake for household get-togethers, birthdays, or afternoon tea.
This quintessential English teatime deal with consists of a light-weight vanilla-infused sponge cake sandwiched along with delicate double cream and sticky raspberry jam filling and completed with a light-weight dusting of icing sugar. Stated to have been a favorite of Queen Victoria, this basic sponge stays the preferred cake offered in Nationwide Belief tea rooms. A Victoria sponge needs to be gentle and fluffy.
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 142ml carton double cream
- 4-6 stage tablespoons raspberry jam
- caster sugar, for dredging
- 2 x 18cm (7in) spherical sandwich tins, greased and base lined with baking parchment
- Tip all of the substances right into a bowl and beat till easy. Divide combination between the sandwich tins and stage the surfaces.
- Bake the truffles within the centre of a preheated oven – 180°C/350°F/Gasoline Mark 4 for 20-25 minutes, or till the truffles have risen and are golden, and spring again when calmly pressed within the centre.
- Take away the truffles from the oven and depart them to chill within the tins for 5-10 minutes, then flip them out on to a wire rack and depart them to chill fully.
- Unfold the jam (opens in new tab) over the bottom of one of many truffles. Frivolously whip the double cream and unfold it over the bottom of the opposite cake. Sandwich the 2 truffles collectively. Dredge with caster sugar earlier than serving.
- The unfilled Victoria sponge truffles may be packed in freezer baggage and frozen for as much as 3 months. Permit to defrost earlier than filling.
Watch make a Victoria sponge
High suggestions for making Victoria sponge
Making an ideal Victoria sponge cake is all about practising and sticking to the recipe. In the event you get all of your substances out beforehand to measure and prep, this can make the blending course of a lot simpler and you’ll hold tabs on what’s stepping into too so that you don’t miss any substances out.
How do you make sure the sponge is gentle and fluffly?
The important thing to that is within the mixing. Don’t be heavy-handed. Fold the flour in gently to entice within the air. On the subject of mixing it is all about taking your time and never overdoing it. Over mixing could make your combination separate or create too many air pockets so that you’ll have plenty of holes in your sponge after baking.
One other good tip is to have your substances at room temperature, particularly the eggs, as this can assist the yolks and whites mix extra simply for a good bake. It additionally provides your substances an opportunity to get to room temperature like your eggs and butter as this bake higher when on the similar temp. To get good measurements, weigh the eggs, after which use the identical weight for every of the caster sugar, butter, and flour.
The right way to cease Victoria sponge from getting caught within the tin
One other trick is to verify the baking tins are greased. Even when they’re non-stick tins, we’d advocate giving them a light-weight rub with butter or spray with oil. Take off any extra in any other case it’ll make the surface of your Victoria sponge burn. Greasing your tins correctly will be certain that the cake slides gently out of the tins. You would possibly wish to run a knife across the fringe of the cake too when it comes out of the oven to loosen it.
Must you cream the butter and sugar first for Victoria sponge?
Victoria sponge truffles are sometimes gentle and fluffy. Creaming the butter and sugar collectively earlier than folding the dry substances is the easiest way to realize this, particularly should you don’t have an electrical whisk. Our recipe is multi function technique which suggests all of the substances are added to the bowl and combined along with an electrical whisk.
You’ll be able to nonetheless obtain a fluffy sponge as you’re utilizing an electrical whisk which helps so as to add air to the combo. In the event you’re making your sponge with no electrical combination then go for the creaming technique as an alternative.
You may additionally like…
Mary Berry Victoria sponge (opens in new tab)
Paul Hollywood Victoria sponge (opens in new tab)
Cupcake recipe (opens in new tab)