Find out about the primary elements of the male reproductive system and the way they perform
The male reproductive system is made up of each exterior buildings (penis, testes, scrotum, and so forth.) and inside buildings (urethra, vas deferens, prostate gland, and so forth.).
Study extra about the primary elements of the male reproductive system and the way they perform.
What are the exterior buildings of the male reproductive system?
- Made up of three elements: two are known as the corpus cavernosa and the opposite known as the corpus spongiosum.
- Comprises the urethra, which gives the penis an outlet for each urine and semen.
- Parasympathetic nerve innervations induce penile erection, whereas the penile artery provides blood to the penis.
- Glans is a delicate, bulging ridge of tissue on the distal finish of the penis.
- Prepuce, a retractable pores and skin shell, shields the glans throughout start.
- Wrinkled, skin-covered pouch that sits on high of the perineum.
- Chargeable for supporting the testes and regulating the temperature of sperm.
- Tightens towards the physique throughout chilly climate and relaxes away from the physique throughout sizzling climate to enhance sperm manufacturing and viability.
- Two oval-shaped glands discovered within the scrotum.
- Comprise lobules and Leydig’s cells, which create testosterone, and seminiferous tubules, which produce sperm
- Tightly coiled tube that transports sperm from the tubule to the vas deferens
- Measures roughly 20 toes in size
- Shops semen and a few sperm (sperm takes 12-20 days to journey alongside the epididymis and a complete of 64 days to mature)
What are the interior buildings of the male reproductive system?
- Connects the prostate gland to the shaft and glans penis
- Hole tube that extends from the bottom of the bladder and is coated with mucous membrane
- Measures roughly 8 inches (18 to twenty cm) in size
- Vas deferens:
- Hole tube encircled by arteries and veins and coated by a powerful fibrous tissue layer
- Transports sperm from the epididymis down the inguinal canal into the stomach cavity
- Prostate gland:
- Chestnut-sized gland positioned beneath the bladder
- Secretes a skinny, alkaline fluid that nourishes and protects sperm
- Seminal vesicles:
- Two pouches positioned on the decrease posterior (again) facet of the bladder
- Launch a viscous, alkaline liquid with excessive protein, sugar, and prostaglandin content material, which causes sperm to turn into extra motile
- Ejaculatory ducts:
- Join the seminal vesicles with the urethra after passing by way of the prostate gland
- Empty the urethra
- Bulbourethral glands or Cowper’s glands:
- Two glands on both facet of the prostate gland and seminal vesicles that drain into the urethra by way of brief ducts
- Launch alkaline fluid to counterbalance the acidic atmosphere within the urethra
What hormones are concerned within the male reproductive system?
- Testosterone: Launched by the Leydig cells, that are interstitial cells within the testes that play a job within the formation and division of germinal cells in the course of the early levels of spermatogenesis
- Luteinizing hormone (LH): Secreted by the pituitary gland and stimulates the Leydig cells to provide testosterone hormone
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH): Launched by the anterior pituitary and is concerned within the activation of Sertoli cells, which allows spermatids to be transformed into sperm
- Estrogen: Produced by Sertoli cells and has a perform in spermatogenesis
- Development hormone: Promotes normal physique progress and prevents background processes within the testes
What are the capabilities of the male reproductive system?
- Puberty and secondary sexual traits:
- Growth of facial hair
- Enlarged Adam’s apple
- Deepening of the voice
- Elevated stature and muscle mass
- Sexual perform:
- Libido (intercourse drive)
- Fertility and replica:
- Contains sperm depend and sperm viability
- Voluntary and involuntary sphincter muscle groups management urine outflow by way of the penis, with the latter stopping urine from coming into the urethra throughout ejaculation
Medically Reviewed on 7/7/2022
The Male Reproductive System: https://teachmeanatomy.data/pelvis/the-male-reproductive-system/
Physiology, Male Reproductive System: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538429/
Male Reproductive System: https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/medicalterminology/chapter/male-reproductive-system/