The menstrual cycle has three phases: follicular, ovulation, and luteal. Study what occurs throughout every section
The menstrual cycle has three phases primarily based on the timing of launch of the egg (ovum):
- Follicular section: Earlier than the discharge of the egg; menstrual bleeding happens throughout this section.
- Ovulation section: Egg is launched.
- Luteal section: After the egg is launched.
Sometimes, the size of a lady’s menstrual cycle is anyplace between 25-36 days. Solely 10%-15% of ladies have menstrual cycles which can be precisely 28 days.
The menstrual cycle begins with menstrual bleeding (menstruation), which marks the primary day of the follicular section and is counted as day one of many menstrual cycle.
What occurs through the follicular section?
- Menstrual bleeding: Menstrual bleeding marks the start of the follicular section, the place the physique sheds the innermost layers of the uterine wall (endometrium).
- Improvement of follicles: That is the primary occasion of the follicular section that begins after menstruation ends:
- Manufacturing of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) will increase. This hormone stimulates the expansion of 3-30 follicles within the ovary. Every follicle comprises an egg.
- Later, FSH ranges lower as just one follicle, which is the dominant follicle, grows and produces estrogen and the opposite follicles break down. Estrogen helps put together the uterus for any being pregnant that ensues.
- Period: The common length of the follicular section is about 13-14 days. It varies significantly from lady to lady and tends to change into shorter when a lady approaches menopause.
What occurs through the ovulation section?
- Surge of luteinizing hormone and launch of the egg: The surge of luteinizing hormone (LH) marks the start of the ovulatory section. LH stimulates the dominant follicle to lastly rupture and launch the egg.
- Fertilization: If the egg is launched when sperm are within the reproductive tract, fertilization can happen.
- Mittelschmerz: Some ladies really feel a uninteresting ache within the decrease aspect of their stomach, which is a ache often known as Mittelschmerz that lasts anyplace between a couple of minutes to a couple hours.
- Period: The ovulatory section often lasts anyplace between 16-32 hours.
What occurs through the luteal section?
- Formation of the corpus luteum and fertilization: If the egg will get fertilized, the ruptured follicle kinds a construction known as the corpus luteum. This corpus luteum secretes progesterone, which helps implant the fertilized ovum (embryo) within the uterus. Profitable implantation of the embryo ends in being pregnant.
- Thickening of the endometrium: Excessive estrogen ranges through the luteal section stimulate the endometrium to thicken in order that the uterus is powerful sufficient to carry the rising embryo (fetus).
- Degeneration of the corpus luteum: If the egg stays unfertilized or the fertilized egg doesn’t get implanted within the uterus, the corpus luteum degenerates after 14 days. Ranges of estrogen and progesterone start to lower.
- Period: The luteal section begins after ovulation and lasts about 14 days within the absence of fertilization. It ends simply earlier than the subsequent menstrual interval.
Medically Reviewed on 8/17/2021
Feminine Reproductive Endocrinology. https://www.msdmanuals.com/en-in/skilled/gynecology-and-obstetrics/female-reproductive-endocrinology/female-reproductive-endocrinology