Yearly, 10 September is noticed as World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD). The day is noticed to unfold consciousness of suicide, stop suicides and supply the required assist for struggling people. Organised by the Worldwide Affiliation for Suicide Prevention (IASP) in collaboration with the World Well being Organisation (WHO), WSPD was initiated in 2003. “Creating hope by way of motion” is the triennial theme for World Suicide Prevention Day from 2021 – 2023.
On the event of World Suicide Prevention Day, let’s discuss concerning the silent disaster we’re in the course of. The pandemic has been brutal for all of us and has taken a toll on our psychological well being. Psychological well being considerations themselves have turn into a pandemic throughout the pandemic. In 2021, we misplaced 1.64 lakh folks, to suicide-the highest ever in a calendar yr. It will solely worsen within the coming days if we do not do one thing.
This yr, Mpower is constant to champion the #SunoDekhoKaho marketing campaign, and every of you can also make a distinction in somebody’s life by becoming a member of in. This marketing campaign is centred round three issues you are able to do to assist.
1. Suno – lend an ear to individuals who’re going by way of a tough time, and you’ll want to pay attention for indicators of psychological well being misery in your conversations with them. For instance, if they have been speaking about feeling hopeless, being severely moody, and even hinting about ending issues.
2. Dekho – be careful for bodily indicators of psychological well being considerations – like should you discover that somebody’s withdrawing from their ordinary social interactions, has stopped taking good care of their bodily look, is experiencing sleep points or is exhibiting indicators of self-harming behaviours. This might imply that they need assistance, and that brings us to…
3. Kaho – you need to discuss to them and encourage them to hunt assist from a psychological well being skilled. As we are saying, it is okay to not be okay on occasion, nevertheless it’s not okay to not search assist.
When somebody decides to take that final resort, it might be due to trauma, psychological well being considerations, or a sense that they are on their lonesome and don’t have any different possibility. However there’s at all times a approach out. There’s a resolution. Let me share three concrete steps we should take to deal with this downside at a systemic degree.
1. We should create consciousness by introducing a psychological well being curriculum in faculties and communities.
2. We have to bolster and improve the supply of high quality round the clock help programs like 24×7 helplines and help teams.
3. In all workplaces, particularly in corporates, we have to work in direction of coverage interventions reminiscent of providing psychological well being leaves, normalising conversations round psychological well being and providing in-house counselling providers.
After we all work on this collectively, hand in hand with authorities and academic our bodies, NGOs, group organisations, media, monetary our bodies, and medical service suppliers, we will really start to make a distinction within the lives of those that are struggling and assist them overcome their psychological well being considerations.
Change begins with every of us, so remember the three phrases that will show you how to save somebody’s life: Suno-Dekho-Kaho.
Checklist Of Suicide Helpline Numbers
iCall: 9152987821 | Mon-Sat, 8:00 AM -10:00 PM | Languages: English, Hindi
COOJ Psychological Well being Basis (COOJ): 0832-2252525 | 01:00 PM – 07:00 PM | Monday to Friday
Fortis Stress Helpline: +918376804102
Parivarthan: +91 7676 602 602 | 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM | Monday to Friday
Connecting Belief: +91 992 200 1122 | +91-992 200 4305 | 12:00 PM to 08:00 PM | All days of the week
Roshni Belief: 040-66202000, 040-66202001 | 11:00 AM – 09:00 PM | Monday to Sunday
Sahai: 080-25497777 | 10 AM- 8 PM Monday To Saturday | [email protected]
Sumaitri: 011-23389090 | [email protected] | 2 PM- 10 PM Monday To Friday; 10 AM – 10 PM Saturday And Sunday
Sanjeevani: 011-24311918, 24318883 | Timings: 10:00 AM – 5.30 PM (Monday to Friday)
GET THE BEST BOLDSKY STORIES!
You will have already subscribed
Story first revealed: Saturday, September 10, 2022, 9:00 [IST]